Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Granny Square

(This is something I had meant to post 3-4 months back, but I got busy with going for umrah, then my in-laws coming over.... I totally forgot about it. But it's not like I made much of a head way with this since then :) )

When I had gone out shopping I came across these lovely yarns... such fine yarns, rich, beautiful coloured cotton yarns.... I've only ever used acrylic yarns and these cotton ones felt great to work with.
I got into knitting and crocheting when I was pregnant and since then I've always liked it. I dont get much time with it so I'm still a beginner.. just know the basic stitches. I had started off with knitting first, then went on to learn crochet.. all through youtube.


There were black, light blue, orange, pink, purple and these two colours. My hands first went to the pink and purples (ofcourse :)), but I decided to go for some other combinations. I wanted to try out granny squares. It's quite simple is what I've read, but I'd never tried it.


I went on to search in google and found a really good blog on crochet.... with a very simple explanation on granny squares. This one: http://www.littletinbird.co.uk/basic-granny-square-pattern/

I picked up easily and managed to make one granny square.

This pic shows my first square. I'm not sure what I'm finally gona make with the squares... they're quite loose stitches....


Here is the finished first granny square. It's not a big as it appears in the pic. I might buy some other colours too to make it more lively. This is all treble crochet with 2 chain separation.


I guess I'll use black to finally bind all the squares together. Black and grey would go well together. I also want to put some red and yellow into it.


And here is the second square. It's been more than 2 months since I started this one but I never seem to get the time or when I do, I would be in a mood for a book. I completed the first square when my sis-in-law, Insha, was here. She loves to crochet too and when I got company I got into it. Started the 2nd also when she was here, but haven't touched it since she left.


So, what do you think? Should I make it into a blanket? Or a bag? Or something else?

5 comments:

  1. Oooh, I'm glad I found your craft blog... I crochet as well

    SincerelySaida
    www.Allthatsheis.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salaam saida:)
      I just got back to this day before yesterday.. planning to make this into a square table cloth.. for simple decoration... I have these 2 cute small earthen pots which i plan to put on this filled with flowers... the reddish-brown of the pots wud go great with the blue and grey....

      this blog is sadly neglected... me and my friend, steffy, love craft work but never get time to finish the stuff we start... check out our cooking blog too: http://coloursofourworld.blogspot.ae/.. cooking we have to do no matter what..

      thanks for stopping by here... :)

      Delete